Monday, March 22, 2010

Heart heart heart, Obama. Heart heart heart.

This RN loves you.

This morning I'm thinking of my coworker, Sasha. She's worked at my hospital for a long time--20, 30 years? First as a CNA, then an LPN, and then as an RN. She paid her taxes and took care of her health and raised a couple of kids.

Recently, she had a stroke. A big one. We don't know how much ability she will regain with time and rehab, but she won't be able to work again. And her benefits are through work. Her kids don't make enough money to support her, and she's not retirement age. She may or may not qualify for public assistance, and even if she did, then what?

Call me crazy, but I don't think something so arbitrary and personally devastating as a stroke should also cause financial ruin and lifelong struggle for an entire family. I hope Sasha slept a little easier last night.


And while we're on the subject:

No comments:

Post a Comment

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.