Saturday, July 13, 2013

What's happening in the garden in July?

This is last Monday's harvest. We're eating lots of tomatoes, cukes, beans and zucchini from the garden.

I've been reading about the health benefits of fermented foods. I had a lot of green beans from my vines, so I thought I'd give it a shot. These are fermented dilly beans. They are still fermenting in the cabinet under the stairs. They're nearly done and so tasty!

We made pasta sauce with our tomatoes. The recipes of Elizabeth David have been incredibly helpful. She relies upon the same things I do to make delicious, simple, wholesome food: fresh, in season produce, good cheese, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, wine. I love her collection, At Elizabeth David's Table, for the gorgeous photographs, but her other books are fantastic, too.

Some of my plants are still struggling with a serious case of blossom drop. These Cherokee Purple have great flavor, but it's not producing. Once these beauties are gone, that's it. There are some new blossoms now, hopefully it will bear more fruit.

Brandywine yellow. This vine also has terrible blossom drop, and I don't have a clue why.




The romas are doing well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.