Thursday, October 24, 2013

At home in the northwest



We are here.

 Our first night in our house in Oakland, we couldn't sleep for the noise: the BART train, the dogs barking, the traffic, the neighbors arguing. We thought it was strange, having moved from San Francisco, that our new neighborhood seemed so much noisier.

It is peaceful here. The fog, the cool moist mornings, the dew on the apple tree; everything is beautiful and quiet. We are slowly unpacking. The boxes don't bother me. Neither does our long to-do list.


Under these tarps is our veggie garden area. I hope to build raised beds in the next couple of weeks, and allow them to compost until it's time to plant in the spring.


There are lots of little bird houses all over the place.


We harvested lots of apples from our tree. I don't know what variety they are, but they are delicious fresh and in the apple cake I made.

This box is in cold storage in the garage.


The rest I will be turning into apple butter, pie filling, apple crisp, pickled apples... yum. Recipes coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you kate! looking forward to reading about your adventure. I hope to move to the country sometime soon too, and be a homesteader. that's my big dream. thanks for sharing your journey! -sarahkeith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sk! It really is a dream come true. I am such a lucky lady.

      Delete

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.