Thursday, November 10, 2011

I love fall cooking. Growing the babe means that I'm paying attention to my diet, trying to eat more whole grains, nuts, and green things. Have you tried honeycrisp apples this season? With some firm cheese and a cup of tea they're my favorite snack. Except, of course, for the quick breads. I'm taking inspiration from Deb at Smitten Kitchen and Jess at Sweet Amandine--in the last few weeks I've made banana bread, zucchini bread, a free-form apple tart, and now I have an apple cake in the oven. The kitchen is warm and the house smells delicious.

I'm reading a compilation of Elizabeth David's food writing, South Wind Through the Kitchen, something I picked up off the remainders section at my favorite bookseller. I've heard of her, but never read her, before now. Lovely! Charming! I can't wait for this baby to come, partly because I can't wait to see his sweet face, but mostly so that I can try some of these recipes with a glass of wine! I'm having a bit of grief, too, that grown-up kind that you get after you've made decisions that you're happy with, but sad because it means other paths are closed to you. I want to go to Provence! But until then, I'm happy to let Elizabeth David take me there.

This is the season I want to learn about pastries! I bought Tartine Bakery's cookbook recently, and I can't wait to try the croissants and brioche! Maybe I'll even learn to photograph them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.