Thursday, June 20, 2013

Father's Day Breakfast Hash

I had to work in the afternoon on Father's Day, so I asked my husband what he wanted for brunch. "Hash," he said. And so it was.

We had some lovely little organic potatoes that we like to halve or quarter and then roast until they're creamy on inside and toasty on the outside. I think it's really important to buy potatoes organic, just for the flavor. I also had some radishes and new onions from the farmer's market.

This guy was helping me. I think he's going to be a chef when he grows up. He loves to take all my cookbooks off the shelf.

Chop all the veggies, toss with salt, pepper, olive oil, and some crushed red pepper flakes.

Roast in the oven at 425F for 45 minutes-1 hour, until everything is soft and robust.

Meanwhile, fry up some bacon and poach some eggs. Don't forget the coffee.

Father's Day Breakfast Hash
serves four

8-12 small organic potatoes, halved or quartered
1 bunch radishes, halved or quartered
2 small new onions, quartered
1 bell pepper, sliced thin
2-3 small carrots, peeled and chopped into thick coins
a few tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes
1-2 eggs per person
2-3 slices of bacon per person
a handful of scallions and fresh herbs or greens
parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 425F. Prepare the potatoes, radishes, onions, bell pepper, and carrots, and toss in a baking dish with olive oil, salt, pepper, and the red pepper flakes. Place in the oven and roast for 45 minutes-1 hour, until everything is tender and the flavors are concentrated.

Meanwhile, fry the bacon to your liking and poach the eggs.

Here is how I poach eggs:
Heat a large saute pan with a few inches of water to almost simmering. You want to see bubbles on the bottom and steam coming off the water, but no active bubbling. Add a glug of white vinegar. This will help the whites stick together. One at a time, crack the eggs into a small bowl to make sure the yolk stays intact. Use a spoon to create a whirlpool in the nearly simmering water and slide the egg in. I cook 4 eggs at a time in my 12 inch saute pan. Poach for 2-3 minutes, until the whites are cooked and the yolks still runny.

When you're ready to dish up, mound the potato hash in the center of the plate, top with 2-3 slices of bacon, 1-2 poached eggs, a sprinkle of scallions and basil, and a shower of fresh grated parmesan cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.