Saturday, September 7, 2013

Capellini with Shrimp and Oven-Roasted Tomatoes

 I love easy tricks in the kitchen that make huge flavor with minimal effort. I collect them. Sometimes, I even share them.


We had some of these slow roasted tomatoes going in the oven this evening when I was poking around in the kitchen looking for dinner. I had a hankering for shrimp pasta. I wanted a light, tomatoey broth infused with sweet shrimp, garlic, and wine.


I put a pot of pasta water on to boil and dinner came together easily tonight. I think you'll like it as much as we did.

A word about shrimp: it's best to buy good-quality frozen shrimp in a bag, rather than the ones on ice in the fish case. Nearly all shrimp are frozen on the boat, so the ones in the bag have been frozen only once, when they were fresh out of the sea. There's no telling how many times the shrimp in the case have been thawed and refrozen.


Capellini with Shrimp and Oven Roasted Tomatoes
makes 4-6 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
red pepper flakes
1 lb shrimp
1 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 cups slow roasted tomatoes, chopped
1 lb capellini
chopped Italian parsley

Thaw, peel, and de-vein the shrimp. Put a large pot of water on to boil.

To a saute pan over medium-low heat, add the olive oil, butter, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Allow the garlic to soften and the flavors infuse for a few minutes. Turn the heat up to medium and add the shrimp (do not allow the garlic to brown). Cook the shrimp until they pink up, then remove to a plate.

Add the wine, tomato paste, and chopped slow roasted tomatoes to the pan. Bring to a boil, and allow the sauce to simmer and thicken. By this time, the pasta water should be boiling. Add the capellini and cook to package instructions, 3-5 minutes. Add the shrimp back to the sauce and gently heat through.

Reserve some pasta water. Drain the pasta. Toss with sauce, adding a bit of reserved pasta water if needed to coat the noodles well. Top with parsley. Eat with wine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.