Friday, May 17, 2013

How I'm Protecting Basil from Slugs without Chemicals



We love our basil, strawberries, and other tender, green, leafy things. So do the slugs and snails! I am having good luck with the copper tape you can buy at the nursery in the pest control section: just wrap it around the flower pot so no slimy critters can cross. I think the tape cost about $7 for 15 feet, so that will get costly if you have large pots to line.

So, I looked in the plumbing secion. I wanted something copper and round to place around the stem of my plants, and I found copper plumber's tape, which costs $3 for 10 feet on amazon, and you use much less.
I just cut off a piece about 6 inches long, fashioned it into a circle, tied it together with garden twine, and set it on the soil around the base of my plant.
We'll see how this works over the season, but I feel clever and hopeful.

How do you protect your garden from slimy pests?


From The Farm Blog Hop

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just replying to your comment on Micah's blog. Please email me at tbhartman @ Hotmail. com and I'll be happy to pass along some connections I have!

    ReplyDelete

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.